Meet Pete the Pelican. Pete is a very special patient from Tweed Heads and was admitted to Currumbin Wildlife Hospital on New Year’s Day.
When Pete was admitted he was unable to stand or lift his head because he was suffering the effects of botulism. Botulism is a naturally occurring toxin found in waterways it thrives in stagnant water with little oxygen and is particularly common in summer. Botulism causes paralysis of the muscles including respiratory muscles making the bird unable to breath.
There is no antidote for botulism so our vets and nurses supported Pete by treating his symptoms until the toxin left his system; this usually takes 3 to 5 days. Pete received fluid therapy, warmth and other veterinary treatments to improve his condition and keep him comfortable; this treatment saved his life.
Pete is now very happy recovering in our Wildlife Hospital’s Waterbird Rehabilitation Facility with some new swan friends. It will take about 2 weeks for Pete to fully regain his strength; he will then be released back into the wild at Tweed Heads.
Did you know? Birds are much more susceptible to the botulism toxin then mammals to the point that women and men have this toxin injected into their faces to remove wrinkles! Botox!
You can help patients like Pete by donating to Currumbin Wildlife Hospital Foundation here.
Together we can make a difference!