This beautiful patient is a Brisbane Short Necked Turtle named Beemo. Beemo was found at Tamborine Mountain and unfortunately she had swallowed a fish hook which pierced through her oesophagus and was stuck in her throat.
Due to the size of the hook and its sharp barbs one of our wonderful vets, Dr Fumi Tokanami, had to remove the hook surgically through the side of the turtle’s neck.
Beemo stayed at Currumbin Wildlife Hospital in our Turtle Rehabilitation Facility for two weeks. During this time she received antibiotic and pain relief injections, and was also kept out of the water during the day to assist with the healing process.
Beemo’s injury is an unfortunate reminder of how important it is to dispose of fish hooks thoughtfully, because when left behind they can cause disastrous injuries, not just for turtles but for other native wildlife also.
Currumbin Wildlife Hospital receives between thirty and forty turtles a year with similar fish hook injuries.