Did you know? – 5 fun facts you might not have known about KOALAS
- Baby koalas are called Joeys and are born about 2 cm big and with no hair.
- Koalas are actually fussy eaters! There is approximately 33 different types of gum leaf and of these koala only eat just 7 types of gum. With so much of our land being cleared for farms and new homes, this means that koalas are forced to search far and wide for food which forces them onto roads or residential properties where they are at greater risk of injury from cars or domestic pets.
- Koalas are nocturnal which means they sleep during the day and are awake at night time. Koalas are a sleepy creature catching zzz’s for more than 20 hours a day.
- Koalas in South East Queensland have recently had their status upgraded to threatened. Sadly we are seeing the number of Koalas drop significantly as a result of life threatening diseases such as chlamydia that is plaguing our native species.
- We treat on average 300 Koalas per year. A figure that has increased from just 28 in 2012.